Skip to main content

IWSG - Treading Water

Photo by Li Yang on Unsplash
Happy May! The end of the school year is upon me. The Teen reminded me they have only seventeen more days. My lack of focus is about to get some louder distractions.


But we're not here for that. Nope it's the first Wednesday of the month and that means IWSG blog hop day. For the last two months my posts have been rather doom and gloom. I’m sadly in the same head space and thought about skipping this month’s post because I didn’t want another month of the Debbie Downer talk. But this group is about the support for the ups and the downs, so here I am.


Treading water. 

As the title of the post states. I do a weekly segment called Music Monday. Last year one of the songs features was “Head Above Water” by Avril Lavigne. That is how I’m feeling. One step forward about ten back and just trying to say ahead of the game. Some days are better than others. I mean that’s the way life goes right? 

I had a heart-to-heart with the ladies of my Squad after a series of bad days. I was (maybe still am) ready to throw in the towel. Everything felt like an uphill battle and I was tired of climbing. My Squad threw down a rope so I’m still hanging on. Moving forward. Or trying to. 

So, I’m switching my focus. Marketing continues to be a struggle for me. I’m emotional writer, if my head space is cloudy the words don’t come. In the interim I’m working on learning all I can to become better at marketing my books. I write standalones, which as I was told, is harder to market. :( Apparently readers like series, to be able to sink into a set of characters for the long haul. But I have to let people know I have books out some way right? 

To get started, I needed a plan of sorts. I have five books out, two of which are novellas. Trying to focus on all of them all of the time won’t work, so I’ve decided one book per month. There are so many options out there for advertising so trying to figure out the best way to go isn’t easy. This will be a lot of trial, with even more error. I’m aware of this. Therefore it’ll be a mix of paid advertising and looking for free options. One of the free options is learning how to do better graphics to post on my social media. 

I’m not a techy person, so sorta figuring how video clips was a huge undertaking, but not bad for my first time right?

Anyway, I’m hoping after trying different things over the next few months as I promote my books, I’ll find one or two things that work and I can narrow down the focus on getting better at those and improving the sales outlook across the board. 

Do you enjoy the marketing aspect? Have a go-to thing that really shows results? I’m open to trying things so feel free to let me know your best suggestions.

Until next time
~Meka


The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support.

The awesome co-hosts for the May 1 posting of the IWSG are Lee Lowery, Juneta Key, Yvonne Ventresca, and T. Powell Coltrin

Comments

  1. Keep hanging onto that rope.
    Series do seem to sell better. But there are a lot of great things you can try - and in this group, some great people to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying, but it's getting harder. Seems to be more hurdles and stumbling blocks at every turn. I'm not a write to market kind of gal so trying to force a series when I don't think that way would be hard. The answer to having some better performance is out there. I just need to find it.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Keep treading! Sounds like you've got great support with your squad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying. They are a great group of women and we're all having struggles of one sort or another so the understanding is there.

      thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Do I enjoy the marketing aspect? No. Now imagine me rolling my eyes and saying a four letter word starting with h and ending l right before that no, then you know how I really feel about it. But, sigh, is it necessary? Yeah. My go-to is designing quote arts, using Pixabay photos, on Canva.com. And creating videos on Powtoon.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marketing I think is more depressing than querying. LOL You're basically paying to be ignored by the masses. Like editing, it is a necessary evil, and just as painful. So much trial and error that can be soul sucking when the results are slim to none. I've done teasers and just recently started with trying the video clips. Haven't checked out Powtoon, will need to.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
    2. BadRedHead is doing NaNoProMo (National Novel Promotion Month) for May. And on yesterday's post they shared marketing tips. Here's the link: https://badredheadmedia.com/2019/05/20-quick-book-marketing-ideas-you-can-do-now/

      Delete
  4. Every time i take a look back at what had happened to me i will always appreciate the great Dr Agbazara ( agbazara@gmail.com ) for what he has done for me. This spell caster brought back my lover, who left me just for no reason. I met the great spell caster and he told me all i need to do! Now am glad Dr Agbazara brought him back and he love me more than he used to! you can also contact him on his active Email address ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348104102662 ).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG #14 - The Story So Far

New month means new post for the IWSG blog hop. In hindsight I should have done this post last month since it was the halfway point for the year, but yeah I don't plan things, not even proper blog posts.