Skip to main content

#AuthorToolBoxBlogHop - Let's Get Romantic

Photo courtesy of: Pexels

Happy May. If you’re like me, you’re barreling toward the end of the school year with kid activities. A busy time for sure, but I’m looking forward to not getting up at 6:30am. However, I’m not looking forward to refereeing fights between my younger two. Tis is mom life. Anyway new month, means new #AuthorToolBoxBlogHop post.

So, did the title scare you a little? I’m a romance author, it’s what I do and not everyone is comfortable writing romance. Now, I’m not talking the sexy bits, that’s a whole different post. I mean just the romance. The relationship between the two people itself can be awkward.

If you’ve been wanting to add a romantic element to your story, but have been worried about how to go about it, I’m hoping this post will get you started on that journey.

First question to ask, is why you want the romance.

  • Not every story needs to have a romantic element therefore the reason you want to attempt it needs to make sense to your overall plot. Otherwise it leads to point number two.


Don’t force it.

  • Like with other parts of a story, the romantic element needs to feel natural to the plot. If it doesn’t the reader will know. Ever watch say an action movie and for some reason there is this near over the top deep connection between the leads? The Punisher comes to mind for me. The ‘connection’ between Thomas Jane and Rebecca Romijn I never got. Like why couldn’t they simply be friends like with the other guys that were in the rundown apartment building. That romantic element felt rushed and unneeded for the overall plot of the movie. You don’t want that for the one you add to your story.


Stay within your comfort zone

  • If you think you’re going to struggle writing any sort of affectionate bits, then don’t. Again, not every story needs it. Sometimes the unspoken connection and sexual tension is just as, if not more compelling. Back to the action movies (what can I say I like to watch them). Hitman, the one with Timothy Olyphant, there is a natural progression between his character and the character Nika. But nothing ever comes of it. You can feel it, you can see how they help each other in unexpected ways but it never goes beyond the tension.


That’s really the basics on getting started if romance isn’t your normal wheelhouse. As always, these are simply my opinions and nowhere near close to anything ‘expert’ level. If all else fails, make friends with a romance author and ask for help. We’re generally nice people and enjoy talking about the genre we love.

Don’t know any romance authors, next best thing is to read a romance novel. There are plenty that are low to no heat if you’re not into all the sexy time bits. There is more nuance and layers that go into crafting a romantic relationship that can’t be fully explained in a blog post, but hopefully this has given you a starting point.

Until next time
~Meka

Comments

  1. Good to know there doesn't need to a lot of affectionate bits. I struggling with kissing scenes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There doesn't. You can have the romance if you want it without the affectionate bits. For the kissing scenes, a tip there would be focus more on the emotions rather than the act itself.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I've added some elements but will never do it with the door open--if you know what I mean. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Open door isn't for everyone and every story doesn't need it. Go only as far as you're comfortable.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon… Kentucky dating

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - 2021 Let's Do This

Happy New Year! Man 2020 is finally over. I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. It’s January so that means new month new IWSG blog post. To finish off the year, last month I posted about how well I did or didn’t hit the goals I’d set for myself.