Skip to main content

IWSG 21 - To Query or Not To Query

Hared to believe that January is already over. Here we are with a new month and a new IWSG blog post.


If you've been around my blog enough you know that I am an Indie Author and proud.

When I started my author journey I never considered the 'traditional' route. I never thought about trying to get an agent and writing a synopsis or any of that. Part of it was because I knew that Fiendish was going to be a hard sell. The other part, well it started as a blog story so I'd already 'self published' it in a way so it felt right to just continue on when it became a book. As I worked on Not Broken, again going Indie was the only thing in my head. I planned a little better than I had with Fiendish, because it's all a learning process. I'm still figuring it out and trying to get better as a whole.

When I joined the chat group on Twitter last year, most of the women were talking about the query process. They were doing pitch events, and working to perfect their query letters and synopsis to submit to agents. I was the Indie Island as it were, and that was just fine. I got excited and nervous for them. I cheered them on as they made submissions and I learned from them through the process.

2018 I set goals again like I did in 2017. Nothing major and nothing that would add additional stress, but just things to hold me accountable. Something that isn't on that list is my decision to attempt the big Q.


Getting not so favorable reviews is one thing, but to submit your work to industry professionals and have them 'reject' you is a whole other ball game. Not only that, I'm not a patient person. The idea of jumping through hoops to prepare the query and synopsis, plus scower the web to find out what agents or publishers might work, all of it sounds like a ton of work. Not that going Indie is easy, but there's less waiting involved. I mean once you go through all that and do your submission, you could be waiting months, MONTHS, before they even respond. If they respond.

Why on earth would I want to put myself through that? Well, for the learning experience. Writing a query letter is a different mindset from writing a novel. Having to condense down, and pick out the highlights without giving it all away is a test of skill I've never put to use. The synopsis is yet another skillset and hell even making up pitches for contests on Twitter. All of it is a learning experience and in this business you should always be willing to learn and not cut yourself off to things.

With that thought in mind, I've decided to query this year. Not that I'm expecting anything to come of it, but I want the learning experience. I did my first ever Twitter pitch contest when IWSG hosted it last month. No likes, but really it was trying to narrow down 45k story into 280 characters. NOT EASY. LOL I'll be trying again next week for the one dedicated to romance.

I'm not looking to submit to agents, my attempt will be submit direct to publishers like Entangled, Carina, Limitless, and Evernight. Ones that are focused on the type of stories I write. The ladies of my CP group helped me figure out which ones might work. The project I'm submitting is my first novella, an erotic romance.



If by some major off chance I get accepted, then yay me. If not, then I continue on with my plan to build my Indie brand. Either way I move forward to check things off my short list of goals.

Not matter what, I'm excited to see what 2018 brings!


The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support.

The awesome co-hosts for the February 7 post are  Stephen Tremp, Pat Garcia, Angela Wooldridge, Victoria Marie Lees, and Madeline Mora-Summonte!

Comments

  1. Good luck, that's a great attitude and I'm guessing that whatever you learn from the experience has to be a win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm already learning a lot from trying to work up pitches and learning to write a query letter. Learning is the most important part of the process.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. I never considered going the agent route, just querying publishers. It does take one step out of the process. Glad you at least participated in our Twitter pitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me. I don't know that what I write is 'sellable' in an agent's eyes, but I know the publishers directly are looking for it. I had fun figuring out how to do a pitch.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. Learning to write a query letter and synopsis is definitely a skill that can help most writers, even indie writers. Query letter writing has helped me to write the blurb for my books.

    I'm also impatient. It's so hard to wait months before I hear back.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I even made some adjustments to the story based on the query I came up with. The blurb...that's a whole other beast I hate trying to tackle.

      Patience is going to be the hardest part I'm sure. But I'm going to try.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. Good luck! Have you considered writing short stories and submitting them to anthologies or e-zines? It's a good way to become a hybrid author, and the query letter can be much simpler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into how to find places for something like that. The query letter, it's very scary.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. The publishers you've targeted sound like they are VERY likely to accept what you write, however, consider this: I don't know how much you're earning as a self-published author, but if you go with a publisher, you lose control of how you're marketing your book. (As in going with KDP, etc.) A friend published with Evernight and her book has sold next to nothing (since last June). Could be the book, not the publisher. But Carina and Entangled have a better track record for marketing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The ladies in my CP group helped me figure out what might work for me. I'm not earning a whole lot currently. I only have 2 books out. I don't do select with KDP so that's not an issue for me. Thank you for letting me know about Evernight. They aren't high on my list since they want exclusive submissions. I've been researching Entangled and Carina a lot. Marketing is important and that's something I'm still working on for myself.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. Wanna learn about the query letter, try this site: http://queryshark.blogspot.ca. Start from the beginning and read the comments. It will help you perfect it. Good Luck. I'm sure you'll do great.

    http://queryshark.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG thank you!!! I'll be sure to check it out. It's a little nerve wracking, but I'm looking forward to trying.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  7. Good on you for branching out and trying something new. Very brave. I've done querying, and once I waited to hear back on a full for 10 months. I had already given up on the submission when the rejection came in...and I already had a publisher for the work. Two actually. As long as you go in with the attitude your currently have, you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wanted to try and see how it goes. OMG 10 Months?!?!?! That is crazy. Yeah I would have assumed a rejection as well after that long. But yay that you had already moved on and found a publisher. That's exciting. I'm looking forward to the experience.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  8. I appreciate your honesty. The query process is TERRIFYING and HARD and STRESS INDUCING. But I'm sure the Indie Publishing Industry is the same, just in different ways. I admire the Indie Authors that I know. It's a brave thing to send your work out into the world, regardless of how it gets there. Good for you for considering the query and synopsis process for the learning experience. I think that's a wonderful attitude to have. And, yes, being able to condense your novel into 240 characters, or three paragraphs, or one, tiny blurb is HARD WORK. Best of luck to you!
    - Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - 2021 Let's Do This

Happy New Year! Man 2020 is finally over. I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. It’s January so that means new month new IWSG blog post. To finish off the year, last month I posted about how well I did or didn’t hit the goals I’d set for myself.