Skip to main content

Family Favorites - #MFRWauthor


Week 49 of the MFRWauthor blog hop. The countdown is on for the end of the year. This week's topic comes at a perfect time as like Thanksgiving, a lot of cooking happens around Christmas.


Photo source: http://www.alaskafit.com/bored-old-recipes/
I cook a decent amount, but nothing that is a super secret family recipe. We are an active family, often on the go, so a lot of our diners are quick things or crock pot meals.

There are a few things that I make that different people in the family like for me to make. So instead of giving you an actual recipe, I'll just list off what they like me to make.

The Hubs: German Chocolate Cake. The recipe I use is out of my Taste of Georgia cookbook. Craziest thing, I've never eaten it. I'm not a fan of coconut, but everyone loves it so I guess I'm doing something right there.

The Girl: She likes my dressing. Now southern folks know there's a difference in dressing and stuffing. That recipe isn't one that is written down. It is one of the passed down from grandmother, to mother, to daughter. In fact this past Thanksgiving, The Girl was in charge of making it this year.

Man Child: Italian Pie. The grocery store we shop at mostly is Publix. They will have their apron meals, free recipe cards you can pick up, some days they have samples. This meal was one of those samples that Man Child tried and loves. It's not exactly a quick meal to make, so I don't make it nearly as often as he would like.

Thing 1 and Thing 2: They both like it when I make spaghetti. Nothing special there, just your standard everyday spaghetti. Mostly. Thing 2 isn't a fan of the store bought sauces. Even the plain marina sauce contains bits of tomato or something which he would try and pick out. I typically have to make him a separate sauce.

That's about it. So like much in my life, this post was a hodge podge of things since I couldn't settle on one.

What are some of your favorite recipes, if you have just one? Be sure to stop by and check out what the other authors on the hop have to say.

Until next time
~Meka


Comments

  1. I had a picky eater who for a while only liked hot dogs. At 34, he's still picky, but about those "awful" carbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....my now-26 y/o has been on the Keto diet for nearly a year; the only meals he will eat with us (he normally cooks his own after we're finished) is steak. And only if we let him fix his yummy vegetable dish (broccoli/cauliflower/carrots with plenty of cheese!).

      Delete
    2. LOL. Thing 2 is my picky eater. Hoping he'll grow out of it, but we'll see.

      @Kenzie his dish sounds yummy. I've grown in appreciation of veggies over the years. My kids are not impressed.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Over the years, we've had picky eaters. Sometimes they won't eat peas, other times they will only eat hot dogs. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest has really thrown me for a loop on many things. His eating habits is just another in the list.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. Love it that your daughter has started making the thing she likes most. That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It was time she learned since she loves eating it so much.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. I'm the picky eater in my family, and it took me about a year to convince my hubby that Prego spaghetti sauce was just as good as the sauce he insisted on making. I'd then irritate him by picking out the tomatoes, bits of onion, and green pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL hahaha. So you wanted the store bought sauce then picked everything out. Sounds like what Thing 2 would do which is why I make his.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. Not being southern -- quite the opposite, in fact -- I would've thought dressing was something that you put on salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yeah. My in-laws from AZ were the same way. Now they enjoy the dressing when we have holidays together and prefer it over stuffing.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. I too- Love me some crock pot meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best. Quick and easy clean up!

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  7. I am southern and love dressing However my hubs is from Iowa and likes Stuffing so i make a pan of each LOL, its cheap. All these sound good. Trick for thing one and two, I tried on Grandie girl once as she refused the spaghetti because it had too many small bits she couldn't pick out. I secretly ran my store bought through the blender for just a bit and she said ooh MIMI you should market this. ( too bad I couldn't lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The crockpot was a fantastic invention for busy families (and writers). LOL. I too had a picky eater. Tomatoes was a no-no so spaghetti sauce couldn't have tomato pieces, either. To this day he won't eat certain foods, but there are times he surprises me with the kind of things he does eat. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - 2021 Let's Do This

Happy New Year! Man 2020 is finally over. I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. It’s January so that means new month new IWSG blog post. To finish off the year, last month I posted about how well I did or didn’t hit the goals I’d set for myself.