Skip to main content

IWSG 26 -How Do You Know?

Hello and happy July! Man it's July already. This is my kids' last month of summer as they start early August. This year is really flying by. New month, means a new post for the IWSG monthly blog hop.

Normally this is done on Wednesdays, but since tomorrow is a holiday in the states, the powers that be moved it up a day. So, I've blogged a few times about putting myself out there and querying a project. The same project I talked about falling completely out of love with. Well, last week I got not one, but two rejections on this project. My reaction? I laughed. I went into querying it expecting to be rejected so I guess I can say expectations were met. All in all both were very nice and not just a 'form' rejection some in my CP group have talked about getting.

One was even sorta detailed and talked about the thing that didn't work for her. I appreciated the feedback. That lead to another conversation with a member of my CP group that asked me why I was opposed to changing the subplot of the project. Should be noted what the editor wanted change is not the same thing.

My answer to her was the editing required to remove the subplot. Anyone that has been around this blog around knows how much I hate editing. Taking out an entire subplot, one of which has helped shaped the characters and their relationship is no easy thing. I can't just delete it and move on.

I value the feedback from my CPs. Over the last year they've made a huge impact on my writing. That said, on this point I'm stuck. I don't like deleting things, especially large chunks of things that will fundamentally change the story. And another part of it is I don't really understand the opposition. Yes it's a heavy topic (infertility) but I put time and effort in trying to make sure it was given the attention it deserves.

I'm a pantser, so this was not part of the original idea when I started writing. It was supposed to be a fun, light, and sexy erotic romance about a married couple spicing up their sex life, but as I was writing the infertility worked it's way in. It changed the landscape of the story by taking it away from more of a 'fluff' piece to something a little deeper, but I went with it.

Now I'm faced with the dilemma of to cut or not to cut the subplot. On top of making the changes suggested by the first editor, who did invite me to resubmit it should I make those changes. So how does a writer know when to stick to their guns about their story and when to separate themselves from the work and just cut?

This month's optional question: What are your ultimate writing goals, and how have they changed over time (if at all)?

~My goals for my writing are pretty simple. To keep improving and growing and to hopefully earn enough from my writing to support hiring a weekly maid service. I'm not a fan of cleaning. And I'd say my goals have changed in I didn't really have any before. When I started writing I didn't set out thinking it would be a career or anything like that. I did it because I enjoyed it and wanted to share my stories with others.

That is still my general look on things because why do it if you're not enjoying it? But I would like to do better, keep learning and build a business. I'm not thinking I'll be a bestseller, but having a handful of people that look forward to my next book would make me a happy person.

That's it for this month. This is a blog hop so take a look at how the other participants answered this month's question, or see how they are feeling about their writing life at the moment.

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support.

Thank you to this month's co-hosts!  Nicki Elson, Juneta Key, Tamara Narayan, and Patricia Lynne!


Until next time
~Meka

Comments

  1. Revise and resubmits are tough calls. I haven't had one before, but I wonder if there's an opportunity to send a follow-up email to the editor just to really clarify what they're asking for before you embark on such a huge edit. Unless you feel they were really clear already. I'm not sure what the etiquette is. Good luck! And happy IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first experience. I have to wait 6 months before even considering resubmitting so it's not like I don't have time to think about it. Editing is hard for me, so big edits are scary.

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Those rejections just mean you're closer to a yes.
    Whatever you decide, go with your gut instinct. If eventually everyone says it should come out, then you'll have to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I can hope for sure.
      That's the hard part. Having to weigh everything and see how well it works or doesn't work for my vision.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. I'm outside looking in so forgive me if what I suggest doesn't fit. But removing the subplot may not be the answer. Is is relevant to the main plot? If it isn't, that might be the editor's point. Is it possible to add something to the subplot that would enhance your main plot?

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The subplot does fit the underlying theme of poor communication that is present in what appeared to be a strong and honest relationship. But to clarify, the editor had a different issue from my CPs. She wasn't a fan of the story opening with a perceived infidelity taking place.That is an easier fix than the subplot. LOL

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. You know, I have multiple versions of my books. It's hard for me to delete too, so I save the draft, then delete and save a new title. That way nothing is ever lost and if I come back and realize the change was wrong, I can undo it. You have to do what feels right to your story, but it's okay to experiment too and follow a "what if."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I keep different saves as well. I have a hard time committing to cutting things and I make each new draft addition in a different color so I can tell what's new each round. I think I may have commitment issues sometimes. LOL

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your goals and accomplishments. Much success and satisfaction with your revision. Happy IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Revision are going to be hard once I am ready to tackle them again, but hope they don't bring about too many tears.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. Meditate on it for a while. Really consider the story without the infidelity and if it would work or be better. I've had suggestions that required taking out a subplot before...one that extended into other stories...and I ended up taking it out because it actually worked and what the CP said made sense. It's extra work, but usually it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have been thinking on it and still haven't made any decisions. I have it out on query at other places, so will see what comes back from other publishers. The work involved is what scares me the most. Editing is not my favorite thing.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - The Writer Blahs Take 2

Hello and happy December. We have reached the final month of 2018. It's normally a time of reflection on how the year went and looking forward to even more in the next. Only, I'm not.