Skip to main content

Adventures at RWA Day 2


It's day 2 at the conference and it was SWAG day! There is the 'Goody Room' where authors, editors and others can drop off freebies that gives you the opportunity for free stuff and them the opportunity to put their name in front of people.
I brought a whole separate carry on to bring back goodies from this conference and I am determined to fill that puppy up. However I wanted to get things I might actually keep and use because who needs unnecessary stuff sitting at their house? Not I.

So as I walked around the room, I looked for things that 1) caught my eye and 2) I'd actually put to use. Mostly pens. But the chapstick Thing 2 will enjoy so score for him.

But it also gave me ideas for possible swag of my own as I walked around to see what people have. Because while I don't want to take things that I will simply throw away later, I want to make sure when I buy something that other people won't want to throw it away. It's just one thing we have to worry about right? But that's for a later day.

Today was also my first day of sessions. I kicked off my learning with a session lead by Beverly Jenkins and Cathy Maxwell. Handling your career with grace.

It was a very enlightening and laid back session that I'm so happy I attended. Both these women have been in the business for 25 years or so and were both so down to earth and relatable that it was a very feel good session. There were some high points that I walked away with.


  • Keep things in perspective 
  • Stay grounded
  • Look at your career as one reader/book at a time
  • Don't rush the process. Let it be organic **this one really rang a bell since I'm slow and can't rush if I wanted to**
  • Make your goals things you can control

So those are things that came from two seasoned authors that made me feel good about my process and outlook.

The second session wasn't fully my thing. I'm a pantser and while this wasn't about planning your story, it was still talk about planning your day so that you can get more accomplished. This is something I struggle with. I need to find time to focus on one thing instead of thinking about all the million things I need or want to do.

Biggest take aways on that one.


  • Be realistic about your time. Look at small segments of time to set goals accomplished instead of trying to focus so much on the big picture. 
  • Burn out makes it easier to be distracted.  **this is so true as I'm in that place now**
Overall it was a great day and tomorrow things will pick up with more sessions and author signings that I'm looking forward to. Celebrity sightings for today were Courtney Milan and Alisha Rai. 

Biggest thing for the day, this non-talker got out of her comfort zone and talked to other people outside of my RChat ladies. Another first timer named Janine, a couple of very lively ladies from the local Denver chapter, and one very cute Hawaiian pilot in training. He will be a hero in a future book because he was very fun and had would make a great leading man.

Until next time
~Meka

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - 2021 Let's Do This

Happy New Year! Man 2020 is finally over. I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. It’s January so that means new month new IWSG blog post. To finish off the year, last month I posted about how well I did or didn’t hit the goals I’d set for myself.