Skip to main content

What I'd Love - #MFRWauthor


So here we are in week 47 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This has been a super busy week for me. Not only was it Thanksgiving week (for those of us in the states) it was also release week for me.

As of yesterday, I put out my second novel after way too long of a delay! In theory releasing on Thanksgiving was a good idea, but it turned out to be a lot to deal with as I tired to do promo stuff on top of cooking.

I would like to take this time to say THANK YOU to fellow #MFRWauthors Alina Field and Helen Henderson for being part of my release day blitz. Also thanks to Raine Balkera who was one of my tour stops last week.

Not Broken is now available for purchase so I'm very excited about that.

This week's topic is about my writing space but this topic I actually talked about back during week 34. I don't want to cover the same topic again so I'm going to take a different approach.

You know my writing 'office' is actually the dining room of my house which means it sits in essentially of the middle of my home open to any and everyone. What I am going to talk about today instead is what I would love my ideal writing space to be.

Noise is a big deal for me. I have nice, noise cancelling headphones to help cut down on the ruckus my kids will keep up when they're home. I spend a lot of time watching House Hunters on HGTV. One of the shows I really enjoy is Tiny House Hunters.

I've told the husband that I would love to have a tiny house put in our backyard for me to use as my writing cave. I love my kids, but they, just like their father, can be major distractions. There have been plenty of times when I've been in the middle of a scene and get interrupted by one of the males in the house needing something, no matter how mundane.

Photo source: http://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

I don't need anything major, just a small room separate from the rest of our house. I would love for it to be an out of sight out of mind thing for my children so they could learn to better respect mommy's writing time. Hell, I'd be happy with a shed worked over from Home Depot.

But, alas, I don't have a separate space. I have a dining room turned office that has no doors and zero privacy. Where I am lucky is the fact my kids are all school age. That means, if I manage my time right, I have from about 7:30-2:30 with no kids so I could get plenty of writing done. But again then it's a matter of time management.

Until my husband gets around to building (or paying someone to build) me a tiny writing hut in our backyard, I'll continue to use my over cluttered desk area to slowly crank out words that will hopefully make sense enough to become my next book.

I hope all my writerly friends that are states side had a good Thanksgiving!

This is a blog hop, be sure to stop by and see what the other others have to say about their writing spaces.

Until next time
~Meka




Comments

  1. A tiny house is an awesome writing hideout. What a super idea. Congrats on the book release and hope you had a happy thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be my dream but I'll be waiting a while before it happens.

      Thank you! I'm excited that I finally got it out into the world.

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that idea! Our new home has a full basement, but before I can create a 'cave', it needs outlets! Unfortunately, it's not a high priority on the spouse's 'to-do' list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention......Congratulations on publishing book #2!!!!!
    *tosses confetti*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a full, unfinished basement. The outlets are there, but it's currently a holding area for all overflow junk and not a place set up for extended periods of time. :(

      Thank you!!! I've very excited to have it out and in the world. Not just a 'one hit wonder' anymore. (not that my first book was anything near a hit, but you know...)

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. I've never seen the appeal of a tiny house before today. You've made me a believer. What an amazing idea for an office!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I couldn't live in one full time. But has a quiet office retreat out of the house, that I could do.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. I sure as heck could write in a tiny house. What a terrific idea. There was a time when my boys were still at home, and my desk sat in the dining room, which was right off the kitchen, so it's easy for me to relate to the distractions. I remember while writing the end to my very first book many, many years ago. I had tears rolling down my cheeks, headphones on to drown out the noise, and my mom and dad came over. I had to stop before I could write the last few lines due to them watching over my shoulder. I'd insist on that tiny house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's my set up now. My 'office' is open to everything. I would love the tiny house to get away, but I'd also settle for having doors that could be closed. Aww...yeah I could see how having people looking over your shoulder could be distracting. Luckily I don't face that problem too often. I have had the issue of my youngest wanting to read what I'm writing and he somehow always manages to ask when I'm writing a sex scene. LOL

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. I'd love a tiny house, or even a shed just to escape everything and just write. Even if you have a space in the house there is always laundry, or dinner to start, or other chores. If you're away from it all it's easier to separate from the 'to do' list and just write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the shed! Whenever we go to Home Depot and they have the sheds outside I wonder if I could make it work. LOL The reasons you listed are exactly why. Even if it happens to be quiet, there's always something else that needs to be done that I have to try and ignore so I can write.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  7. Love this idea, Meka! When I was writing in the garage, I loved it for the very reason you mention--avoiding needless interruptions!

    And I'm so glad I was able to help you with your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garage would be a nice escape but we use ours for our cars. Might be able to work out a shed possibly...things to talk to the husband about. He keeps asking what I want for Christmas. LOL

      Thank you for being part of my release day event. I really appreciate it.

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  8. You're welcome, Meka, and that post received about 300 views so good luck! Noise cancelling headphones sound like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. I had a few entries into the giveaway. Hopefully some of those translate into sales. The headphones were a great gift! I love them.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  9. A tiny house would be soooooooo awesome! I'd love one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's my dream to have one some day. Gotta sale more books first, or hit the lotto. Which ever comes first. LOL

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  10. Super congratulations on the release, Meka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to have it done finally.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  11. I love tiny houses, too! One of those would make a great writing space... Congrats and best of luck on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't see myself living in one, but to have one as an office, that would be ideal!

      Thank you. Hope it does well.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - 2021 Let's Do This

Happy New Year! Man 2020 is finally over. I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. It’s January so that means new month new IWSG blog post. To finish off the year, last month I posted about how well I did or didn’t hit the goals I’d set for myself.