Skip to main content

Book Review: The Forgetting


The Forgetting: What isn't written, isn't remembered. Even your crimes. Nadia lives in the city of Canaan, where life is safe and structured, hemmed in by white stone walls and no memory of what came before. But every twelve years the city descends into the bloody chaos of the Forgetting, a day of no remorse, when each person's memories -- of parents, children, love, life, and self -- are lost. Unless they have been written. In Canaan, your book is your truth and your identity, and Nadia knows exactly who hasn't written the truth. Because Nadia is the only person in Canaan who has never forgotten. But when Nadia begins to use her memories to solve the mysteries of Canaan, she discovers truths about herself and Gray, the handsome glassblower, that will change her world forever. As the anarchy of the Forgetting approaches, Nadia and Gray must stop an unseen enemy that threatens both their city and their own existence - before the people can forget the truth. And before Gray can forget her.


My Review
** 2.5 STARS **

So if you read my review of Rise Of The Sparrows, you know YA is not my thing, especially not YA fantasy. That being said, I went into that book with an open mind and I enjoyed it.

My goal this year is to read 12 books that are outside of my normal preferred genre, I picked another YA book hoping I'd find another one to enjoy. Since I didn't know what I like or didn't like in this genre I picked based off covers. I went to my handy Nook app and did a search for YA books and proceeded to scroll until I came across covers that caught my eye, then read the description. The Forgetting was my final choice of about 4. The cover was pretty and the premise sounded appealing. 

The pacing of this book is rather slow. This book takes place over the course of seventy days but it felt much longer than that as I read. There were so many people, Nadia the Dyer's Daughter, Gray, the Glassblower's Son, Gretchen the Archivist, Jin (don't remember his fancy tag), Rose (who didn't have a fancy tag), etc. So much going on and so many to keep up with. I like to be able to picture each character and keep them straight in my head, something I did with great difficulty in this book. I have no real grasp on how anyone looked which is something else I like to have in my books. I know that Nadia apparently had long hair that kept coming out if its braids. Gray in turn also had long-ish hair that he kept tied back. Other than that, any descriptions given were vague.

The location, Canaan, apparently a city in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a large wall of some sort, but no one in the town ever got curious about going beyond the borders. No one wanted to know what life might be like outside of Canaan? Especially considering they had their memories wiped every twelve years. How is it that the whole town was just okay with that?

Nadia was an okay character. I liked that she wanted to know more. She wanted to figure out why the forgetting happened so she could protect her family. I can understand the hurt of having people you know and love not know you. Even still to me the book dragged. I guess it was that way so we could see the friendship grow between Nadia and Gray which later turned into romance. I didn't feel their connection. The hottest boy with outcast girl trope. I would have gladly taken less time on that and more time on unraveling the mystery behind the forgetting. Gray, well he was gray just as his name suggested. Nothing that made him stand out to me, he was there to be Nadia's sidekick and romantic interest.

The last ten percent or so of the book is when answers are given and some action is finally shown. The reveal of the villain wasn't the wow moment I'd hoped for. Even after things were all said and done some things didn't sit well with me. The situation with Nadia's father to be exact. How did he choose the way he did after explaining the why of his actions from the last forgetting? It made his whole explanation void in my opinion.

The book ends with things basically wrapped up and people are given their happy-ish endings. After finishing this book I learned there is to be a part two. This book for me was slow, had more telling than showing, and not enough action, so I'm not inclined to take on book two. Overall the book was an okay read for me. The half star for the cover and concept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - 2021 Let's Do This

Happy New Year! Man 2020 is finally over. I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. It’s January so that means new month new IWSG blog post. To finish off the year, last month I posted about how well I did or didn’t hit the goals I’d set for myself.