Skip to main content

She was slowly...#MFRWauthor


So I'm late to the game on this, but better late than never right?


Starting with week 4 of this 52 week blog hop challenge: MFRWauthor blog challenge. This week's prompt is about my writing mistakes.

I write in first person so I spend a lot of time talking about how my characters do their actions from their POV and in doing so, it was pointed out to me that I say was a bunch of times. He was staring at me. I was going to get him back later. I do it often. I'm simple in my writing. I don't stop to think about 'better' ways to write something, I write it as I hear it. Hence the repetition of the words. Now that it's been pointed out to me, I try to actively stop and think when I write a sentence like the above examples and figure out if the offending was could be eliminated.

My other issue, -ly words. Slowly she brushed her hair. He whispered quietly. Yeah, I know, to whisper is to be quiet. Again I look for the first word that comes to mind when writing and go with it then move on. Again this is the issue I will actively try to stop and think about when I'm writing to keep myself from falling into the same ruts.

I'm sure there are plenty more writing mistakes I go through. Grammar rules are not my friend, but that's why you get an editor right? That comma shouldn't be there, the other comma is missing. Type to fast and missed a word in the sentence. I hang my head in shame and admit to even getting the you're, your, and the their, there, they're mixed up when I get to moving too fast. I know, I know what a horrid mistake, but first drafts are supposed to be terrible. At least that's what I've been told. I promise I know the difference, I just get to typing to fast and the wrong thing makes it on screen.

So what are you common writing mistakes?

You can read about others in the blog hop this week by going HERE.

Thanks for stopping by
~Meka

Comments

  1. You're right--first drafts are meant to be terrible. Editing polishes it to a gem. I share the same grammar mistakes as you. I tend to write simple sentences and use too much passive voice. But like you say--that's what an editor is for. :)

    Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they say. I need to remember that I can't have perfection the first time out. Or second, or third...LOL Glad I'm not alone with the simple sentences and passive voice. I write what comes to mind then fix later.

      thanks for stopping by

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Come Find Me - #MFRWauthor

Another week. Another post for the #MFRWauthor blog hop. This week will be a short and sweet post. It's all about my social media hangouts.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might - #MFRWauthor

Welcome to week 16 of the #MFRWauthor blog hop. We've covered an array of topics over the last few weeks, with many more to come. This week is all about our biggest dreams.

IWSG - 2021 Let's Do This

Happy New Year! Man 2020 is finally over. I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. It’s January so that means new month new IWSG blog post. To finish off the year, last month I posted about how well I did or didn’t hit the goals I’d set for myself.